Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Girl on the Train

No one can be trusted. This is the theme throughout Paula Hawkins' The Girl on the Train. No character in this book is particularly likeable. They are all so flawed and so messed up, I spent a good deal of time wondering if I would come across one remotely sane person in this book. I think it was this raw unlikeable quality about the three narrators that prevented me from putting this book down - I read it cover to cover in less than twenty four hours.

There are three narrators. The first we meet is Rachel, the alcoholic girl who rides the train during what would be her normal commuting hours every day in an attempt to fool her roommate into thinking she still has a job. Then there is Megan, the wife of Scott, a couple whom Rachel can see in their house each day from the train. Finally, there is Anna, the new wife of Rachel's ex-husband Tom. They live just a few doors down from Megan and Scott.

As Rachel rides the train every morning, she amuses herself by formulating stories about the people and families she encounters on her daily journey. Megan and Scott are Jess and Jason in her mind, a happy couple who enjoys their morning coffee together, and Anna is living the life Rachel was supposed to have with Tom. One morning, Rachel witnesses something unnerving from the train only to read in the news the next day that Megan has gone missing. A frantic spiral of events takes off as an insane story unfolds, told through the eyes of alcoholics, liars and cheaters. 

I can't recommend this book any more highly. The insanity of these character's lives drives you to keep reading to figure out the outcome. Hawkins kept the story fast-paced and suspenseful, always keeping the reader on their toes. This was a fun book to read because all the narrators were so unreliable. Right when I thought I had the story figured out, I would have to remember I'm taking the word of an alcoholic who suffers from major blackouts in her memory. All in all, a fantastic book. I can't wait to read more from this author!




No comments:

Post a Comment